Saturday, November 21, 2009

My position in "The School of Athens"

Hypatia of Alexandra

If I were to place myself in the grand painting by Rapahel, "The School of Athens", I would probably be Hypatia of Alexandria, who stands on Plato's side in a white robe, glancing over her shoulder. She was a very brave and independent woman who was even said to be the first notable woman in mathematics, philosophy and astronomy. Her life was enriched with the passion of knowledge since she was the daughter of Theon (a professor in the University of Alexandria) who was believed to raising her to become the perfect human. At an early age she had already started teaching people, enlightening them with her knowledge making her one of the most unique and best students in "The School of Athens". Like Hypatia, I think of myself as an independent girl who likes to be a leader and help other people. I like to teach them things that they are unaware of, as well as listen to their opinions and reflect on them. Like her, I learn enthusiastically and like to play around with new ideas, building upon them. And even though, I am not as passionate about math and science than she was, I still have my own favorite subjects in which I like to take chances upon and improve on. Last but not least, like Hyaptia, I feel that sexism is wrong and erratic. She has shown all men, that women can be as smart as them and that they can accomplish things many other men can't, go to university and teach scholars all over Italy and Greece. Even though sexism is a smaller problem nowadays than it used to be in the Renaissance era, I sometimes still get upset when I hear about stories of unrighteousness toward women. However I do think that I would still need to work on myself a little more to become similar to Hypatia of Alexandria.

No comments:

Post a Comment